Celebrity Surrogacy Spotlight: Kristen Wiig

Submitted to Celebrity Spotlight

The Bridesmaids star and her fiancé Avi Rothman are proud new parents to twins. The couple first announced that they were engaged in August 2019, and welcomed twins in early 2020 via surrogate. While hosting a Mother’s Day special for Saturday Night Live in May, the actress coyly thanked her own mother for preparing her "to be a mom," which left viewers scratching their heads until the happy news was confirmed one month later.

Why Surrogacy?
In an interview with InStyle magazine, Wiig said she has been with Rothman for five years but three of which were spent in an 'IVF haze'. "Emotionally, spiritually, and medically, it was probably the most difficult time in my life," Wiig told InStyle. "I wasn't myself. There are so many emotions that go with it - you're always waiting by the phone and getting test results, and it was just bad news after bad news. Occasionally there would be a good month, but then it was just more bad news. There was a lot of stress and heartache."

Sharing the Journey
She also noted that "As private as I am and as sacred as this all is, what helped me was reading about other women who went through it and talking to those who have gone through IVF and fertility stuff. It can be the most isolating experience. But I'm trying to find that space where I can keep my privacy and also be there for someone else who may be going through it."

We'd love to hear from Intended Parents: Do Kristen Wiig's words resonate with you? Has the pain of your fertility challenges been helped by sharing with others in a similar situation?