Breanna Stewart's Golden Journey to Motherhood Through Surrogacy 🍼 🌈

Submitted to Surrogacy Stories

Breanna Stewart and wife Marta Xargay just announced the birth of their baby girl, Ruby Mae.

Stewart, who plays for the Seattle Storm and just earned an Olympic gold medal, has been with retired Spanish pro basketball player Xargay since they met in 2019.

Ruby Mae came into the world via surrogate on Aug. 9, just a few days after Stewart won gold in Tokyo. 

The couple's journey to parenthood was documented by Togethxr, revealing that Stewart had frozen her eggs in 2019 while she was recovering from a torn ACL. She and and Xargay started interviewing surrogates and found one in Idaho, and the pregnancy took hold. However, they kept the news almost entirely to themselves. They told their parents and just a few of Stewart's teammates.

“I’ve always known I wanted to have a family, always wanted to be a younger mom,” Stewart, 26, said in the documentary. “It will not be easy, but why can’t I be the best player, a mom and have a child in the way we have done?”

Ruby was born on Aug. 9, just a day after Stewart returned from Tokyo with her Olympic gold πŸ… 🍼